Thursday, July 24, 2008

Estelle Getty

I need to pay an overdue tribute to Estelle Getty, our beloved Sophia Petrillo. (As most already know, she passed away on Tuesday.) Although I loved Estelle for her role as Sophia, I have to say I didn't know that much about her personal life until a few days ago. What really impresses me is how spirited she was -- she did stand-up before ladies did stand-up, she worked as a secretary most of her life while auditioning on the side, and success didn't come till after 50. She gives hope to all us office girls with a sideline, and I am inspired by her strength and tenacity.

Here are a couple of my favorite Sophia moments.

The Picasso story:



Sonny and Cher:



After being diagnosed with Lewy body dementia in 2006, she issued a statement through her caregiver, telling her fans "that if she has made you laugh, encouraged you to think, and challenged your beliefs, then she has done her job."

No comments: