Thursday, August 28, 2008

So long, summer

Photo via NYT

For me, today is the last official day of summer.

The Sunset Park Pool will have its last adult lap swim tomorrow night from 7-9 p.m., and it was my last night there tonight. On Monday at 2:00 it closes to the kiddies and the rest of the public, too. I've had a marvelous summer swimming at this Olympic size pool after work at least twice a week -- is there anything more refreshing? -- and I'm terribly grateful to have had a lovely, big, relatively clean place to swim not five minutes from my doorstep. Oh, and did I mention it was free, too?

I'm off to visit the NYC Parks website to tell them how much I love the pool, mainly because the kindly old Russian guy who works at the pool told me to.

Although the passing of summer always makes me sad, I have to relish the upcoming season, too. Here's to peaches, farmer's markets, dwindling tourists at my favorite museums, and nights so cold you almost *have* to bake cookies.

Happy Labour Day, y'all.

1 comment:

P.L. Kerpius said...

Happy Labor Day indeed! To celebrate I'm having a yard sale (goodbye hideous old toss pillows!), baking a plum pie, and not reporting to work on Monday!

Cheers!